Thursday, January 24, 2013

Learn How to Sew with a Pattern, It's Easy

When I let the world know that I was going to sew all my new clothes in 2013, I didn't expect such a great response.  I think I motivated many people to do the same or at least take on sewing.

Many of you told me that you don't know how to sew and didn't even have sewing classes offered in high school.  I learned how to sew from my mother, but I also learned a lot from my Home Economics teacher in high school.  Today it's called "Home Living" in most schools.

I've been busy sewing a cape, blouse and pants in the past few weeks. I'll be showing them off in the coming days.  I use patterns to make most of my clothes.  I  know the fewer pattern pieces, the easier it is to sew the project.

Do you want to learn how to use patterns?  Here's one of the best tutorials that I found on YouTube. It was produced by Threads Magazine.

Buy a pattern of your choice and follow what this instructor has to say.





BUYING A PATTERN

Patterns can be expensive.  Some can cost up to 30 dollars.  I always buy them on sale, and I will wait for a good sale before I purchase one.  Jo-Ann Fabrics and Hancock Fabrics always have sales going on.  You can also buy some cheap ones on EBay.  You'll find plenty of patterns at thrift
stores too.

If you're afraid to tear up a good pattern, feel free to copy it on wax paper, and experiment.  But remember, patterns are made to be used over and over again. Take the plunge and start sewing.
Now let's go shopping for a pattern.


4 comments:

  1. I can confirm, from many years of sewing my clothes, that patterns stand up pretty well to re-use, as long as you handle the pieces carefully. I can also say that only a relatively few patterns actually get used more than twice.

    I think it would be better to use real tissue paper to copy a pattern; I bought a large package of single sheet tissue paper many years ago and am still using it up. I got it in an office supply store and I think it was intended for wrapping or protecting purchases at retail stores. No one ever said that you have to use something in the way it was originally intended!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous excellent advice. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. necesito buscar algo en espanol mi ingles es pesimo podrian ayudarme y que bueno que hay sitios como este para mirar y de pronto intentar entenderlos gracias

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puedes encontrar informacion en YouTube o' con Google.

      Delete